Friday, December 09, 2011

Change of career: How to answer?


Change of career: How to answer?

Many a times, candidates have enquired to me that they are not comfortable in answering that after acquiring a degree in engineering or in any other professional field which is not directly related to general banking, why are they interested in opting for banking as their career.

Well, like any other thing, this answer should also come from the inner side of your hearts. There are a few inputs which I am providing based on the experience of either myself or my colleagues. Rest of the answer can be easily framed based on these inputs.

Firstly and most importantly, please don’t criticize your degree or your college at the interview.
Means, 
We shouldn’t say that after a B.E. I wasn’t getting a good job or My College didn’t help in getting a good job and hence I had to think about change of stream. Never do that. It creates a negative impression. They would think that in future after leaving the bank, you would criticize them too.

Look very much confident and satisfied with your degree, college and other achievements.

As soon as such a question is asked, smile a bit, look into the eyes of the chairman of the panel, then in the eyes of the other members within a fraction of seconds and then say – Sir, Engineers are considered to be blessed with one of the best brains on this earth. The RBI Governer, Dr. D. Subbarao is himself a product of IIT Delhi (Read More). I believe I can contribute to the best of my capability.

Smile and say, 'Sir, being a technocrat, Dr. Subbarao is doing very well, I too just need a chance to prove myself'  - make your smile deeper and make an eye contact again.
"I am not choosing engineering as my career option because as I came out of my teenage, I realized that meeting and communicating new people, gives me immense pleasure. Banking can certainly give me right platform for that." - may be a good response.

"I can contribute to the day to day banking by applying the concepts of operational research or the concept of project management in any kind of study or research undertaken by the concerned department of the bank.
And above all (Smile again, and look in their eyes again) and say, I want to switch from engineering to banking, because, I have a faith in myself that I can not only be a good engineer, I can be good banker too" -You can try this too.

Rest in next post,

Be tuned, All the Best

No comments:

Post a Comment